What We Do
Cultivating good character in Martin County since 1996!
CHARACTER COUNTS! works with Martin County School District to enhance their character curriculum in the schools and encourage and reinforce the 6 pillars of character in all students.
The "Six Pillars of Character" - Trustworthiness, Responsibility, Respect, Fairness, Caring, Citizenship - serve as guideposts for the countless choices children and adults are asked to make on a daily basis.
The Six Pillars of Character
Be Honest. Don't deceive, cheat or steal. Be reliable: Do what you say you'll do. Have the courage to do the right thing. Build a good reputation. Be loyal: Stand by your family, friends and country.
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule. Be tolerant of differences. Use good manners; not bad language. Be considerate of the feelings of others. Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone. Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements.
Do what you are supposed to do. Persevere: Keep on trying. Always do your best. Use self control; be self-disciplined. Think before you act: Consider the consequences. Be accountable for your choices.
Play by the rules. Take turns and share. Be open-minded; listen to others. Don't take advantage of others. Don't blame others carelessly.
Be kind. Be compassionate and show you care. Express gratitude. Forgive others. Help people in need.
Be an active member of society. Commit to volunteering. Do your share to make your school and community better. Cooperate. Stay informed; Vote.
Be a good neighbor. Obey laws and rules. Respect authority. Protect the environment.
CHARACTER COUNTS! Advisory Board
- Rob Tweeddale, Chair – Kowalski, Tweeddale & Association / Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, Inc., Bank of America
- Missi Campbell – Community Volunteer / Crystal Lake Elementary
- Monique Coleman -- Tykes & Teens
- Victoria Defenthaler – Community Volunteer
- Cara Gabrielson – Community Volunteer / Riverbend Academy
- Dianne Pierce – Community Volunteer
- Carol Houwaart-Diez – CEO, United Way of Martin County
- April Strong - Prevention Intervention Program Specialist, Martin County School District
For more information about CHARACTER COUNTS! call 772-283-4800.