FREE TAX RETURN PREPARATION FOR YOU BY VOLUNTEERS
What is VITA?
Who can benefit from VITA?
When can I visit a VITA site?
What do I need to bring to a VITA site?
- Driver's License or Photo I.D.
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
- All W-2 Forms
- If filing jointly, your spouse must be present
- Copy of prior year tax return
- 1099 Forms (if applicable)
- 1099-G Unemployment Benefits
- 1099-INT Interest from your bank
- 1099-R Pensions, Annuities, Retirement Plans
- Account Numbers for electronic deposit of refund
Become a VITA Volunteer
Learn to prepare taxes and make a difference in your community at the same time. How can you make a difference? By simply volunteering to help your community by preparing taxes free of charge with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
- Free materials, training and testing to become IRS certified
- A network of like-minded individuals who are giving back to our community
- Welcome and thank you receptions
- Support from staff to answer questions and guide you throughout your experience
- Flexibility in picking the shifts and locations that work best for you
- A meaningful skill to add to your resume
- Trust from clients, who share parts of their lives with their financial information
- Participate in the IRS tax training and achieve basic or advanced certification in December
- Meet face-to-face with the taxpayer to gather information, review documents, and prepare the tax return
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after quality review process is complete
For more information, contact Kathleen Stacey.