FREE TAX RETURN PREPARATION FOR YOU BY VOLUNTEERS
What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides free income tax return preparation to hard working taxpayers earning up to $60,000 annually per household. VITA helps working families take advantage of all of the tax credits they are eligible for including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and education credits. IRS Certified volunteers from the community help prepare basic, current-year tax returns for eligible taxpayers free of charge.
Who can benefit from VITA?
Martin County individuals and families who earn up to $60,000 annually are eligible to receive free tax preparation services.
When can I visit a VITA site?
Please call the United Way office at 772-283-4800 to schedule your appointment. All appointments will take place Monday - Wednesday evenings by appointment ONLY at the United Way office at 10 SE Central Parkway, Suite 101 in Stuart.
Please make sure that you gather all of the necessary information (listed below) to avoid any delays.
What information will I need to provide?
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:
- Proof of identification (copy of photo ID such as a driver’s license)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- If you are self-employed, a list of expenses that cannot exceed $10,000.00. If you will have a negative income loss, then your return is out of scope for a VITA site and we cannot do it.
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statement
- Form 1098 to verify any home mortgage interest claimed.
- IRS Letter 6419, 2021 Advanced CTC
- Form 1098T if claiming tuition paid as well as tuition payment information from the college or university.
- A copy of last year’s federal return, if available.
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
Who to contact for additional information?
Call 772-283-4800 for more information or to register.
Besides our VITA program, if you prefer filing online, we’ve got that covered too. Visit MyFreeTaxes to file for free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No matter your income, MyFreeTaxes can help you take advantage of all the tax credits and deductions you qualify for!
In addition to the convenience of filing at a time that works for you, MyFreeTaxes utilizes secured software, so you have the peace of mind that your information is safe. MyFreeTaxes also offers help with filing questions through phone, chat or email.
Become a VITA Volunteer
Learn to prepare taxes and make a difference in your community at the same time. How can you make a difference? By simply volunteering to help your community by preparing taxes free of charge with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
- Free materials, training and testing to become IRS certified
- A network of like-minded individuals who are giving back to our community
- Support from staff to answer questions and guide you throughout your experience
- Flexibility in picking the shifts and locations that work best for you
- A meaningful skill to add to your resume
- Trust from clients, who share parts of their lives with their financial information
- Participate in the IRS tax training and achieve basic or advanced certification in December
- Call taxpayer to gather information, review documents, and prepare the tax return
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after quality review process is complete
For more information, contact Kathleen Stacey.