Please note: our program has reached capacity and we are no longer taking any additional clients.
FREE TAX RETURN PREPARATION FOR YOU BY VOLUNTEERS
What is VITA?
Who can benefit from VITA?
When can I visit a VITA site?
What information will I need to provide?
- Proof of identification (copy of photo ID such as a driver’s license)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- If you are self-employed, a list of expenses that cannot exceed $10,000.00. If you will have a negative income loss, then your return is out of scope for a VITA site and we cannot do it.
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statement
- Form 1098 to verify any home mortgage interest claimed.
- Form 1098T if claiming tuition paid as well as tuition payment information from the college or university.
- A copy of last year’s federal return, if available.
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
Become a VITA Volunteer
Learn to prepare taxes and make a difference in your community at the same time. How can you make a difference? By simply volunteering to help your community by preparing taxes free of charge with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
- Free materials, training and testing to become IRS certified
- A network of like-minded individuals who are giving back to our community
- Support from staff to answer questions and guide you throughout your experience
- Flexibility in picking the shifts and locations that work best for you
- A meaningful skill to add to your resume
- Trust from clients, who share parts of their lives with their financial information
- Participate in the IRS tax training and achieve basic or advanced certification in December
- Call taxpayer to gather information, review documents, and prepare the tax return
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after quality review process is complete
For more information, contact Kathleen Stacey.