Please note: our program has reached capacity and is currently on a waiting list. To join the waiting list, please call our office at 772-283-4800.
FREE TAX RETURN PREPARATION FOR YOU BY VOLUNTEERS
What is VITA?
Who can benefit from VITA?
When can I visit a VITA site?
What information will I need to provide?
- Proof of identification (copy of photo ID such as a driver’s license)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- If you are self-employed, a list of expenses that cannot exceed $10,000.00. If you will have a negative income loss, then your return is out of scope for a VITA site and we cannot do it.
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statement
- Form 1098 to verify any home mortgage interest claimed.
- Form 1098T if claiming tuition paid as well as tuition payment information from the college or university.
- A copy of last year’s federal return, if available.
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
Become a VITA Volunteer
Learn to prepare taxes and make a difference in your community at the same time. How can you make a difference? By simply volunteering to help your community by preparing taxes free of charge with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
- Free materials, training and testing to become IRS certified
- A network of like-minded individuals who are giving back to our community
- Support from staff to answer questions and guide you throughout your experience
- Flexibility in picking the shifts and locations that work best for you
- A meaningful skill to add to your resume
- Trust from clients, who share parts of their lives with their financial information
- Participate in the IRS tax training and achieve basic or advanced certification in December
- Call taxpayer to gather information, review documents, and prepare the tax return
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after quality review process is complete
For more information, contact Kathleen Stacey.