Students United represents the next generation of community leaders. The program provides opportunities for local students to utilize resources to impact our community by supporting United Way. Members participate in United Way’s grant allocation process to learn more about the needs in the community.
The program is targeted toward 9th –11th-grade students interested in developing leadership skills and creating opportunities for community engagement.
Applications for the 2021-22 School Year will open on August 20, 2021.
- Give students a better understanding of health, financial stability, and education needs in our community.
- Educate students on the process through which nonprofits apply for and receive investment dollars from the United Way.
- Students will learn how to evaluate the impact of programs that target community issues.
- Students will gain an understanding of how nonprofit agencies work and challenges they face when working with limited resources.
- Students will be given opportunities to volunteer at local organizations.
- Develop leadership skills in a safe environment.
Time Commitment for the Year 23 Hours
- 7 Regular meetings with volunteering
- 1 Citizen Review Zoom
- 1 Hour of reading a grant application
- 1 Citizen Review Panel Agency Visit
***** Approximately 3 hours per month.
- Students are expected to participate in all meetings and notify UW staff of any absence in advance. Missing more than one may be grounds for dismissal from the program.
- The program will run from October 7th- May 19th. Each month we will explore a different facet of nonprofits in Martin County while engaging in volunteer opportunities.
- Meetings will be held in person after the school day.
- Members should be engaged and participating in the Discussion.
- Multiple volunteer opportunities will be presented throughout the year.
- Upon successful completion, students will be awarded a minimum of 23 hours.
- Schedule of all dates will be provided once accepted into the program.
Students United is sponsored by Donna E. DeMarchi, Attorney