United Way of Martin County presents Students United, a philanthropic initiative for high school students who are ready to learn and serve their community.
Students United represents the next generation of leaders, cultivating a ‘Spirit of Service’ among its members. The program includes attending nonprofit site visits while gaining an understanding of the profound work being accomplished at our partner agencies. Members will also participate in United Way’s competitive grant process, Citizens Review Panel, by reviewing applications and making fund recommendations.
Who is eligible:
9th – 11th grade Martin County students interested in developing leadership and community impact skills.
What is gained:
An awareness of our community’s needs through selfless volunteerism.
When do members meet:
October 2023 – May 2024 for monthly after-school activities on the first Thursday of the month from 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. (8-10 activities with two optional Saturday events)
Where do members meet:
At United Way of Martin County, 3-4 partner agencies, the Fairgrounds for the United Way Holiday Project, and a Farewell Dinner at a local restaurant.
Why Students United:
Students United's diverse range of opportunities, pre-planned by United Way of Martin County, offers a hassle-free way to gain 20-30 volunteer hours. As a participant, your primary responsibilities include your enthusiastic presence and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the betterment of our community!
- Deepen students' understanding of community needs in education, health, and financial stability.
- Educate students on how nonprofits seek and obtain financial support from the United Way.
- Introduce students to programs that address challenges and evaluate the impact being made.
- Foster a ‘Spirit of Service’ through multiple volunteer opportunities at local organizations.
- Nurture leadership proficiencies within a secure and supportive environment.
Members are encouraged to attend all scheduled activities and are responsible for obtaining transportation to and from activities.
Meetings are held the first Thursday of the month from 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. with two optional Saturday events.
- October 5, 2023 - New Member Welcome Meeting
- November 2, 2023 - Born Learning Trail
- December 2, 2023 (Saturday from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.) - United Way Holiday Project
- December 7, 2023 - United Way Holiday Project
- December 9, 2023 (Saturday from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.) - United Way Holiday Project
- January 4, 2024 - Agency Site Visit (1)
- February 1, 2024 - Agency Site Visit (2)
- March 7, 2024 - Agency Site Visit (3)
- April 4, 2024 - Citizen Review Panel
- May 2, 2024 - Program Completion Dinner Celebration
Once a member has completed their first year of the program, they are invited back as an Advisory Council Member (ACM) for the remainder of their high school education. Currently, there are 20 past members eager to welcome the 2023-2024 Students United group. These members also have an opportunity to continue their community efforts by volunteering, leading activities and serving as mentors.
Students United enrollment is from Wednesday, August 30, 2023, through Friday, September 29, 2023. To submit an application, complete the web form below. For questions or additional information, please contact Sara Aviles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students United is sponsored by Donna E. DeMarchi, Attorney, and Cleveland Clinic Martin Health.