What is AmeriCorps Senior?
Formerly known as the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) program, AmeriCorps Seniors was established in 1971 and is one of the largest senior volunteer programs in the nation.
AmeriCorps Seniors is federally funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and with local sponsorship from our United Way of Martin County.
AmeriCorps Seniors offers volunteers 55 years of age and older a diverse range of volunteer activities that serve communities to create measurable impact and benefit volunteers through their service experience. Whether you want to put your skills to good use or explore new challenges, we have a wide range of volunteer opportunities waiting for you.
Here are some examples of the outcomes senior volunteers helped accomplish in Martin County last year:
- 89% of tutored youth improved their reading grades
- Over 15,892 lbs. of food were distributed to 4,811 clients
- 23 volunteers are prepared to open and operate a Volunteer Reception Center in the event of a disaster
- 82 veterans secured employment
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
- Choose how, where and how often you want to volunteer from a few hours to 40 hours per week
- Receive pre-service training, a great way to learn new skills
- Receive FREE supplemental insurance while volunteering including excess accidental medical coverage, personal liability and excess auto liability
- Get to know the community
- Meet new friends
- Gain an increase in health benefits - sense of purpose and fulfillment, self-confidence; reduce stress levels and risk of depression
- Be part of the national service movement